I was driving home this evening – as I’m prone to do of an evening once the old nine to five has reached its innevitable climax – and was listening to The Nice’s Ars Vita Longa Brevis. It had been that kind of a day.
One of the songs on the album is the snappily titled ‘I’m One Of Those People That My Father Tells My Sister No To Go Out With’. Which got me thinking: what other songs in my collection feature a proponderance of verbiage in their titles?
And so, in no particular order, I’ve drawn up a list of twenty that have caught my eye.
- ‘I’m One Of Those People That My Father Tells My Sister Not To Go Out With’ – The Nice
- ‘Return Of The Hardcore Jumble Car Boot Techno Disco’ – Bentley Rhythm Ace
- ‘The Confessions Of Dr Dream – Part One – Irreversible Neural Damage’ – Kevin Ayres
- ‘Prelude: It’s A Fast Driving Rave Up With The Dandy Warhols Sixteen Minutes’ – The Dandy Warhols
- ‘What Is The What If The What Is Why?’ – Moloko
- ‘As If Your Eyes Were Partly Closed, As If You Honed The Swirl Within Them And Offered Me The World’ – Brian Eno and Rick Holland
- ‘There’s No Lights On The Christmas Tree, Mother, They’re Burning Big Louie Tonight’ – The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
- ‘The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You’re Going to Have to Leave Now, or, ‘I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!” – Sufjan Stevens
- ‘Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled’ – Porcupine Tree
- ‘Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control’ – Tame Impala
- ‘The Smell of Today Is Sweet Like Breastmilk In The Wind’ – múm
- ‘Uncle Sigmund’s Clockwork Storybook’ – Robert Forster
- ‘Nothing Is Ever Lost Or Can Be Lost My Science Friend’ – Liars
- ‘The Sir John Hawkins Memorial Carpark’ – Billy Childish and the Spartan Dreggs
- ‘Moroccan People’s Revolutionary Bowls Club’ – Blur
- ‘Neon Meate Dream Of Octafish’ – Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
- ‘Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict’ – Pink Floyd
- ‘Collective Dreamwish Of Upperclass Elegance’ – Grandaddy
- ‘You Probably Couldn’t See for the Lights But You Were Staring Right At Me’ – Arctic Monkeys
- ‘Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)’ – The Flaming Lips